Expert sought on passenger ship safety
ANEC (www.anec.eu) is the European consumer voice in standardisation. It was established in 1995 as an international non-profit association with the support of the European Commission and EFTA. Membership of ANEC is open to the representatives of national consumer organisations in 34 countries.
Background The main tasks of the Passenger Ship Safety Expert sub group are to assist the European Commissionin all questions related to passenger ships safety and the preparation of EU passenger ship safety legislation (including technical assistance to the European Commission in developing and updating technical safety standards in the area of passenger ship safety, as the technical annexes to Directive 2009/45/EC on safety rules and standards for passenger ships). The role of a consumer organisation is to represent interests of passengers travelling on board passenger ships (i.e. ships carrying more than 12 passengers) in EU waters. The next meeting takes place on 25 September 2018.
ANEC is seeking an expert with proven technical expertise to represent European consumers in Passenger Ship Safety Expert group, according to the priorities defined by the ANEC members and Secretariat. The work entails participation in meetings and providing expertise in terms of written comments, as well as advice to the Services Working Group and the Secretariat.
The expert will have the opportunity to work with a network of more than 200 consumer representatives across Europe. Our experts contribute to the work of more than 130 technical bodies of the European Standardisation Organisations, and to selected committees in ISO and IEC.
- Proven technical expertise in the field of maritime transport, as well as environmental policy;
- Knowledge of and experience in standardisation and in consumer affairs;
- Strong communication and analytical skills;
- Proficiency in English as a working language;
- No conflict of interest between the role as an ANEC Representative and other responsibilities or work undertaken.
The expert will be required to:
- To represent ANEC in Passenger Ship Safety Expert sub group. Participation in meetings will require international travel;
- To attend the ANEC Services WG meetings;
- To brief and debrief the ANEC Secretariat before and after each meeting;
- To prepare written comments in collaboration with the ANEC Digital Society WG;
- To send meeting reports within 3 weeks of a meeting, using the ANEC template;
- To advise the ANEC Services Working Group (WG) and ANEC Secretariat on priorities in this sector, and co-ordinate with the WG and Secretariat on agreed standardisation work items and possible new work items.
Although we are unable to offer a salary or honorarium, we do cover the travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses of our experts in line with the rules laid down by the European Commission and EFTA Secretariat.
To apply, please send a CV in the Europass format, detailing all relevant experience, to Alana Valero (firstname.lastname@example.org), by 21 August 2018.