Summary: This course provides a comprehensive overview of human factors, access to practical research-based tools and approaches, and discussion in small groups with acknowledged industry experts.
Provider: Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) in association with the Keil Centre Limited
Location: UK (Edinburgh, Manchester)
Duration: One year, with the course running 2 days per quarter (16 workshops of 3 hours each)
Knowledge/experience needed: None
Who should attend?
Internal human factors advisors/ focal points, operations managers, HSE advisors and specialists and industry regulators.
Why should you attend?
In order to develop a broad understanding of human factors, relevant to the process industries and to develop confidence to ask the difficult but relevant questions relating to humans in the workplace.
What will you learn?
How human factors fits into your own role and organisation and how human factors issues can be resolved, including the methods and tools to achieve this and how and when to access expert advice.
- Ability to consider a broad range of human factors issues relevant to the chemical and process industries, including the application of some of the key tools and techniques.
- Ability to act as an intelligent customer for human factors.
- Part -eligibility for technical member grade of the CIEHF
- Managing Human Factors (including risk management, safety critical communications, organisational change and safety culture),
- Managing Human Failure (human error, non-compliance, incident investigation, performance under pressure),
- Strengthening Organisational Performance (managing fatigue, staffing and workload, training and competence, effective supervision and safety leadership),
- Human Factors in Design (integrating human factors in design, developing procedures, HMI, plant and control room design).
Delegates are required to undertake participate in group exercises, review case studies and use practical tools within the workshops. The findings from the practical work is shared with the whole group enabling shared learning through discussion feedback and comment from the workshop leader.
Delegate pack with all materials and copies of slides. An electronic copy of reusable materials and slides.
The Keil Centre is a private company of Chartered Psychologists and Ergonomists offering professional services to industry, government and private individuals. We have expertise in three main areas, which aim to support the development of capable, healthy and safe people: Human Factors & Ergonomics, Clinical Psychology & Counselling, and Business Psychology & Wellbeing. Our consultants are senior level experts with a minimum of 15 years’ experience in their field. We use evidence-based practice to tackle a wide variety of organisational issues.