SNC-Lavalin Rail and Transit is a global consultancy providing Human Factors solutions to the rail industry. We have UK offices in London, Derby, and Edinburgh and over 600 consultants worldwide. This means we have unique knowledge of applying human factors solutions worldwide, such as London Thameslink, East and West Coast Mainlines, HS2, London Underground, Cambrian ETCS and the Sydney, Vancouver and Thailand Metros to name just a few.
Our Human Factors team work hand-in-hand with our technical expertise to ensure solutions address the human operator issues whilst also optimising the safety, technical, operational, control and assurance considerations.
We consider the physical and behavioural aspects of:
- People (train drivers, trackside workers, signallers, passengers)
- The equipment they use (in-cab equipment, signalling systems, platform equipment)
- The spaces they work in (cabs, saloons, platforms, stations, control rooms)
- Organisational aspects (safety culture, training, communications)
Our HF solutions can:
- Ensure new infrastructure and rolling stock meets user and operational requirements
- Reduce delays caused by door opening issues, signal errors, maintenance issues
- Improve safety caused by poor working practices, new and retro-fit train control systems, or platform-train interface
- Improve relations with drivers and trade unions during change
- Improve occupational health through good driver cab ergonomics.